How to build your CV online
BASE is one of the world’s most voluminous search engines especially for academic open access web resources. BASE is operated by Bielefeld University Library.
As the open access movement grows and prospers, more and more repository servers come into being which use the “Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting” (OAI-PMH) for providing their contents. BASE collects, normalises, and indexes these data. BASE provides more than 70 million documents from more than 3,000sources. You can access the full texts of about 70% of the indexed documents. The index is continuously enhanced by integrating further OAI sources as well as local sources. Our OAI-PMH Blog communicates information related to harvesting and aggregating activities performed for BASE.
BASE is a registered OAI service provider and contributed to the European project “Digital Repository Infrastructure Vision for European Research” (DRIVER). Database managers can integrate the BASE index into your own local infrastructure (e.g. meta search engines, library catalogues) via an interface.
In comparison to commercial search engines, BASE is charcterised by the following features:
- Intellectually selected resources
- Only document servers that comply with the specific requirements of academic quality and relevance are included
- A data resources inventory provides transparency in the searches
- Discloses web resources of the “Deep Web”, which are ignored by commercial search engines or get lost in the vast quantity of hits.
- The display of search results includes precise bibliographic data
- Several options for sorting the result list
- “Refine your search result” options (by author, subject, DDC, year of publication, collection, language and document type)
- Browsing by DDC (Dewey Decimal Classification) and document type.
InTech is a pioneer and world’s largest multidisciplinary open access publisher of books covering the fields of Science, Technology and Medicine. Since 2004, InTech has collaborated with 87235 authors and published 2420 books and 6 journals with the aim of providing free online access to high-quality research and helping leading academics to make their work visible and accessible to diverse new audiences around the world.
Our mission is to give all researchers equal opportunity to share ideas, develop their career and for their work to have impact around the world.
|published chapters and articles||40 891|
|most downloaded chapter||74 058|
|unique readers per month||679 000|
We ensure that scientists and researchers get the recognition and rewards that they deserve and the opportunity to play a significant role in the global scientific community.
Our readership includes all players in the academic communities: scientists, university and college professors, research professionals, students and users of academic libraries. Moreover, our publications are of great interest to engineering societies, technical organizations, industrial institutions and government departments.